Oklahoma Voter ID Law

Voter ID law:

The list of acceptable IDs for voting is intended to be intimidating. There are many who do not have a driver’s license or other photo ID. The laws are intended to make potential voters nervous and fearful. Nervous and fearful people do not turn up at the polls, if they make it as far as registering to vote! There is more on this topic later in the document that is very important. Please continue reading.
The mechanics of voter registration drives:
  • Anybody can legally register voters!
  • To be eligible, registrations must be received 24 days before the election. For the upcoming 2012 election, that deadline is October 13, 2012. Registrations postmarked that date are still acceptable, but mailing them is not advised that late in the game. It is best to drop them off at the Comanche County Election Board (315 SW 5th St No 206, Lawton, OK, 73501 ph# 580-353-1880).
  • If someone has not voted in the last 6 years, they are purged from the voter rolls and will need to re-register. If someone states they haven’t voted in a long time, don’t worry about it having been less than 6 years, it’s fine to have them fill out another registration form.
  • Felons: Felons are not totally barred from registering to vote in Oklahoma. All that is required is that they have completed their sentence. Example: If a felon was sentenced to 7 years, but serves 5 with 2 years probation, they are eligible to vote again. A common response by some in this category is “Oh, I can’t vote.” Find a way to ask them why and reassure them that once their sentence is done they CAN vote. Please be tactful here.
  • If someone will turn 18 in the 60 days before an election, they can register to vote before the October 13th deadline. Example: If someone’s 18th birthday is November 5th or even the 6th (Election Day 2012), they can register before the cutoff of October 13th.
  • At or around a university: Students can vote where they attend school, even if they are from out-of-state. Once someone registers to vote in Oklahoma, they will establish citizenship in Oklahoma. This is something to keep in mind for students that are receiving scholarships that may depend on their being an out-of-state resident. Keep this in mind when registering students or answering their questions.Congressional contacts (after hours voice mail available):Sen James Inhofe
    205 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510-3603
    email: http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=contact.contactformSen Tom Coburn
    172 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    email: http://coburn.senate.gov/public/?p=ContactForm

    Rep John Sullivan (CD1)
    434 Cannon House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

    Rep Frank Lucas (CD3)
    2311 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

    Rep Dan Boren (CD2)
    2447 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

    Rep Tom Cole (CD4)
    2458 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

    Rep James Lankford (CD5)
    509 Cannon House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

    See Also:

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s