by Terry Gresham
What happened to HOPE? What has Obama done? Where has he been the last couple of years? How is a nation to survive? Where is this guy taking America? Is there anything that this President has contributed to the great institution called America? Are average citizens safe in this country? How are we to get good leadership these days? Is Obama out to make me look bad? What? What? What? Why? Why? Why?
These questions and more will be discussed in an Okieprogressive segment called: Talking the President’s Progressive Achievements.
Segment 4: President Obama and Equality for Women
Lilly Leadbetter was employed for 19 years as a supervisor for Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. in Gadsden, Alabama. At the plant, there turned up to be a significant difference between her pay and the pay that male supervisors receivied while doing at the same job. The guys did the same type work as Ms. Leadbetter.
The lawsuit eventually reached the Supreme Court: Leadbetter V. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
Lilly Leadbetter will never receive the money denied her, however, the case resulted in the Lilly Leadbetter Fair pay Act.
An Alabama jury found that Goodyear Tire Company discriminated against Lilly Ledbetter for almost twenty years because she was a woman. The Supreme Court reversed the history of employment discrimination and said that since Ms. Ledbetter failed to file her discrimination claim within 180 days of being hired, that Goodyear was allowed to pay her less money than a man doing the same job. Hear from Lilly in her own words in this short video. Uploaded by SusanRhea on Apr 1, 2008
The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 is an Act of Congress enacted by the111th United States Congress and signed into law by President Barack Obama on January 29, 2009.
Statutory provisions at issue
- “It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer… to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin….”
- “A charge under this section shall be filed within one hundred and eighty days after the alleged unlawful employment practice occurred.”
- “it shall not be an unlawful employment practice for an employer to apply different standards of compensation…provided that such differences are not the result of an intention to discriminate because of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.” – Wiki
On January 29, 2009, President Barack Obama signed The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009.
I don’t know about anybody else but I’m mad as hell. In the last couple of years here in Oklahoma, I haven’t done for my country anything matching this Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
Damn that Obama! Curses! In comparison, I ain’t done squat.
Well, that concludes this installment of …
Talking the President’s Progressive Achievements.
Tune in next time to take a look at President Obama’s:
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Ending U.S. combat operations in Iraq
- Repaired relations with allies
- Results on Environmental Policy
- Leveling the playing field for workers
- Landmark Wall Street reforms
- Innovation and reform in public education
- LGBT Equality
- Equality for women
- Fighting for working families
- Health insurance for 32 million
- Cutting health costs for small business
- Regulating big tobacco
- Ending Bush torture policies
- Nuclear arms reduction
- Ordering closure of CIA detention facilities
- Getting a seat on UN Civil Rights Council
- Doubling fuel efficiency standards
- and more
Talking the President’s Progressive Achievements #1 Wall Street Reform
Talking the President’s Progressive Achievements #2 Wall Street Reform
Talking the President’s Progressive Achievements #3 Wall Street Reform