Bob Murl Bearden
I wasn’t around in the days when Unions were starting to make a difference in the lives of our nation’s citizens, but my grandfather was. He went to work as a young man as an organizer with the Miner’s Union. He came to Oklahoma helping organize the mine workers in eastern Oklahoma. It was the unions that helped build the middle class and gave rise to the 40 hour week, the weekend, overtime, workplace safety and the minimum wage. We now have people who believe Unions are no longer relevant or necessary and because of that mindset we are seeing systematic attempts by those on the far right to destroy not only unions but the middle class.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s powerful Labor Day message (freakoutnation.com)
- Obama: ‘America is what it is today because workers began to organize’ (dailykos.com)
- Let’s fight to revitalize America’s middle class (apolloreportone.wordpress.com)
- Middle Classes Are Stronger in States with Greater Union Membership | Center for American Progress (don-overton.newsvine.com)
- The Middle Class Does Better In States With Lots Of Union Members (syndicatednewsservices.com)